Slow-Cooker Short Ribs
2½ pounds boneless beef short ribs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large sweet onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups beef broth
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1½ tablespoons gochujang
¼ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup rice vinegar
12 eight-inch flour tortillas
½ small green cabbage, finely shredded
12 dill pickle spears
⅓ cup roughly chopped cilantro
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Make the Slow-Cooker Short Ribs: Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the short ribs and sear until well browned on all sides, 9 to 12 minutes.
2. Remove from the pan and place into the slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic, beef broth, crushed tomatoes, gochujang, brown sugar and vinegar and stir to combine.
3. Turn the slow cooker on low and cook the short ribs until they are very tender, 7½ to 8 hours.
4. Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred with forks. Strain the remaining ingredients from the slow cooker into a medium pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the sauce to the meat and toss well to combine.
5. Make the tacos: In a large skillet, heat the tortillas one at a time. To build the tacos, divide the meat, cabbage and dill pickle spears between the tortillas. Top with black pepper and cilantro.